At Mahnomen Health our goal is to help you return to the quality of life you used to enjoy before your injury or illness, as quickly as possible.
The rehabilitation staff provides inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation services in a compassionate environment. Rehabilitative services at Mahnomen Health are provided by Big Stone Therapies whose mission it is to “provide excellence in rehabilitation services by optimizing health and function for families and businesses within their communities through caring, hands-on healing”.
Physical therapy is a rehabilitation service for patients injured or recovering from accidents, surgeries, or illnesses to restore mobility, balance, and strength to lead to a faster recovery and return to a previous lifestyle and levels of activities as quickly as possible.
Physical therapy is helpful for the following conditions:
- Joint and muscle pain (sprains/strains)
- Back, neck, or other joint pain
- Pinched nerves
- Balance problems or dizziness
- Those with difficulty walking or performing daily functional tasks
- Sports-related injuries
- Age-related injuries
- Injuries/dysfunctions from accidents, falls, strokes or birth defects
- Muscle/joint weakness
- Pelvic pain or urinary incontinence
- Repetitive stress or strain injuries
Occupational therapy focuses on understanding what activities are meaningful to patients in their daily life. OT helps patients increase mobility and independence around the specific actions needed to fully engage in those activities.
Occupational therapy is helpful for the following conditions or situations:
- Cognitive assessment to help determine ability to live independently and/or drive, as well as identify services to increase safety and independence
- Home and job site evaluations to determine equipment/environmental modifications to increase independence and safety
- Elbow, wrist, and hand diagnoses and injuries (i.e. Carpal Tunnel, amputation, arthritis, etc.)
- Adaptive equipment/device recommendations and usage to increase activities of daily living and independence
Speech therapy helps patients of all ages restore, improve, or maintain speech issues. Speech therapists also work with patients to ensure safe and sufficient swallowing when eating and drinking.
Speech Pathologists will evaluate a patient’s ability to swallow and set up an appropriate type or texture of diet. They will also work on methods of communication and cognitive testing to help assess individual needs so they can continue to communicate with others and organize their thought processes.
Speech therapy is helpful for the following conditions:
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Developmental Delays (Children)
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Hearing Impairments
- Cancer (Head, Neck, and Throat)